This has been a highly productive week, where I got shop time Monday (took the day off to recover from WIA), Friday afternoon, and today. Those shop sessions gave me enough time to prep and dimension almost all of the stock for this project. I started on Monday with the 8/4 purpleheart for the outer legs of the table:
I was so excited that I had fit all four legs on the width of the board, I went right to cutting the board in half, so I could fit each part on the jointer:
It was only after making a few passes on the jointer that I realized my mistake. First, if I wanted to double-up the cuts and make two legs from one blank, the layouts would need to be aligned in both height and orientation. Second, either the blank would have to ride on the curved surface I just created or I would have to layout the template on that curved surface. I was not convinced with my ability to do either safely or repeatably, so I needed to readjust. Thankfully I over-bought stock for this project and I could still use these two blanks to make one leg each.
Friday afternoon/evening was spent mostly at the jointer and table saw. Right now, I only have one 220V outlet in my garage, so there’s some plug swapping between the jointer and the planer. For this reason, I made a concerted effort to do all the dimensioning up to the point of needing the planer. So by the end of Friday night, I had a lot of hard maple and purpleheart that was S3S. In addition to that stock, I had a lot of confusion; I wasn’t sure how to proceed. This led me to spending a decent amount of time creating a checklist for each part that I was going to work on today. This was hugely beneficial, not just for the direction I was giving myself, but also for the mental exercise of thinking about each piece without standing over a tool.
With a clear plan for this afternoon, I was able to crank through my steps and complete a ton of the prep work for my challenge entry. I got my head on straight and created the blanks for the table legs:
I also dimensioned most of the hard maple that will make up the sides and the shelves for the outer drawer assemblies:
Here’s the glue-up for the sides of the inner drawer assemblies. The plan is to make the curves out of this 8/4 walnut:
but I’m still undecided on whether I’ll make those cuts at the bandsaw or nibble away at the tablesaw, changing the height of the to create the curve shape. I’ll cross that bridge later; if anyone has a strong opinion about it, leave a comment.
I also glued-up the three panels that will comprise the top. First, the two wings made of curly maple:
And some more walnut for the center:
Tomorrow I foresee a lot of work at the bandsaw cutting the curves in this design. After the Bears game, of course ;-)